Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Let's get Christine a van!

A Story of Survival
By Christine Kent

On August 4th, 2007, I was the victim of a horrible crime that has left me changed forever. On that date, I was attacked by a stalker at my home in Oakland Park, FL. Allan Sinclair IV, a man I had considered to be just an acquaintance, had become obsessed with me when I did not want to be his girlfriend. I politely rebuffed his advances and told him that we could only be friends. After not seeing Sinclair for three years, he showed up at my house and said that he was in the area and thought that he’d stop by to say hello. He wanted what he couldn’t have, and put a gun to the back of my head. I spoke to him about God and told him that he needed to let me go. When I fled for my life, he shot me twice. One of the bullets obliterated the T-12 section of my spine, which paralyzed me. I lay in the gravel conscious beside my driveway as Sinclair ran over me with his SUV and turned the tire while on top of my abdomen, further shattering my body. He fled the scene and I desperately screamed for help, but no one came. My neighbor’s phoned the police when they heard the shots fired, but they were too afraid to come to my aid. I was shocked to find that my attacker came back within minutes in an attempt to hide me from view. He grabbed me by the ankles and dragged me across the driveway, leaving me behind the hedges. Being left there to die, I prayed for my life and to be saved while waiting to be rescued. I survived by a miracle, by the grace of God.

Fortunately this dangerous man was apprehended the very next day. Sinclair pled Guilty to Attempted Rape and Attempted Murder First Degree on Oct.2, 2009 and was sentenced to Life without the possibility of parole. Now I have some closure and peace of mind knowing that he’ll never get out, to hurt me or anyone else again. The Doctors confirmed that the injuries to my spine are so severe that I’ll never walk again. Having spent over six months in hospitals and rehabilitation facilities, I am so grateful to be back in my own home. I try to remain positive despite my pain and disability, believing that everyday is a gift and life is a blessing. Sheer will, determination and support helps to keep me pushing forward. I want to make the most of my life and be an inspiration to others as well, striving to make a difference where I can.

I wish so much to be independent again and look forward to progressing in my recovery. However, the costs associated with my injuries are quite high and involve everything from home modifications to medical related. I’m also hoping to save for a handicapped accessible van as well. Could you please help?

To assist with my injury related expenses, a fundraising campaign has been established with the Catastrophic Injury Program of the National Transplant Assistance Fund (NTAF). NTAF is a nonprofit organization that has been serving the transplant and catastrophic injury community for 25 years. All contributions are tax-deductible and are administered for injury-related expenses only.
If you wish to make a donation:

Make check payable to: NTAF Southeast Spinal Cord Injury Fund
Write on check memo line: in honor of Christine Kent
Mail to: NTAF
150 N. Radnor Chester Road, Suite F-120
Radnor, PA 19087

To use a credit card, please visit www.catastrophicfund.org and type “Kent” into the yellow box on the left or call 800-642-8399. My newspaper reports and videos can be viewed on this website.

Thank you for your prayers, support and donations. ChristineKent@bellsouth.net

No comments: